Friday, November 14, 2008

Plastic - another bubble burst

I love plastic.
What is not to love?
Plastic is flexible, moldable, lightweight, versatile and waterproof.
Oh, we have a little plastic addiction, but nothing we can't handle.
Or so I thought.
I saw a report on PBS last night that took the lustre off my plastic rose.
The link has the full story at the end of the rainbow but the gist is that the ocean is becoming chock a block with plastics. It turns out the stuff breaks down but never biodegrades. There are sea critters with more plastic than food in their stomachs. That can't be good. My favourite factoid - Santa Monica CA installed a rig to skim plastic from the town's storm drain/ street water runoff. In one year, they got 40, 000 pounds of plastic!
(Ok, so if we promise to re-use the stuff, we are still cool, right?)

1 comment:

CBEMN said...

At the National Geographic museum there was an exhibit with the contents of a dolphin's stomach: it was full of plastic that was non-biodegradable and non-digestible.