Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Guest Speakers were great

It is late November. One more week and classes are complete.
Back to work!
It is both good and bad.
One of the highlights of the last few months was all of the guest speakers that came to share their knowledge and experiences with the class. I saw them in Geog 2305, 3315, and 3454.It was amazing: how uniformly good they were, how well they were accepted and how much I learned from them. All the more amazing was the fact that I knew many of them before now - but just to see them in a hallway or meeting room. I would not admit to who my favourites were but the one that seemed to captivate the crowd the most was Steve Campana and his talk about sharks.
Slogging through "Song for the Blue Ocean", I was delighted to see that, ten years ago, the were also employing satellite implants to track the movements of aquatic animals. Also, retrieved implants are still worth $1000 (exlusive of exchange rate). I wonder how many have ever been returned.

1 comment:

CBEMN said...

I agree: Steve Campana was great (sorry to learn that you are slogging through Song for the Blue Ocean, however!).
Cathy